Every so often, I want to view a set of MOC instructions that exist in a CAD/digital format. But then, I conclude (perhaps incorrectly) that I can’t view it on my iPhone. However, maybe I could on my Mac, but only if I download some now-obsolete software, such as Lego Digital Designer (LDD).
When this happens, my feelings of excitement turn into feeling stuck and uninspired.
Truth is, I have considered dabbling with CAD software as a way to play with LEGOs, but I feel uninformed and overwhelmed by the technical aspects. (I’m comfortable with computers & programming, but CAD seems like another animal.)
I’ve also noticed that CAD options can vary quite a bit and the choices can come & go from year-to-year. So, I worry that I could start down a dead end.
- TLG’s Design byMe service ended in 2012.
- I read online the Lego Digital Designer, while still in use by many, is no longer supported by the company.
- I’ve read discussions about how certain elements/parts might be available in software X, but not in software Y.
- There are relatively new options, such as stud.io, with — presumably — new competitors getting ready to rear their head.
I know I’m just scratching the surface here.
This has left me wondering: Is there a good, single resource, such as a updated & maintained web page, that meets all (or most) of the following criteria?
- It is a list of current & obsolete LEGO CAD software options (or authoritative recommendations), along with benefits, trade-offs, compatibility considerations, proprietary vs. open-source considerations, long-term viability, etc.
- It is written for a more general audience, and not just for folks that already know a lot about MOCs and CAD software.
- It includes software options for simply viewing a set of instructions without the software that created it.
- It addresses different operating system or online/browser options, such as noting which ones are cross-platform or which are ideal for a smartphone, e.g., an iPhone.
So, is there such a resource? Or is it just a pie-in-the-sky idea?